Many people experience anxious feeling or stress during their lives. Often it is in response to situations where a person feels under pressure, and these feelings normally pass once the pressure has subsided. Anxiety is more than feeling anxious or stressed. It is when the anxious feelings do not pass, occur frequently and may stop you doing what you want to do. People experiencing anxiety can find it very difficult to manage their symptoms.
Signs and symptoms of anxiety
People experiencing anxiety may experience some of the following symptoms.
- Avoiding situations that provoke feelings of anxiety
- Physical symptoms including sweating shaking, blushing, taking frequent trips to the toilet, shortness of breath, a churning stomach, racing heart, feel dizzy
- Fear being humiliated or embarrassed
- Difficulty concentrating or making decisions
Quick tips for managing anxiety
- Take a deep breath and say ‘I can do this’
- Speak to family, friends or a health professional
- Practice relaxation exercises before you need them
- Focus on the task, not what others might be thinking
- Remember times you have performed well in the past